"Grandpa, Grandpa, Grandpa" PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 16 September 2005 16:00
Ian is in New York on business for the weekend, Christine and Fred are visiting Fred's cousin, Greg in Campbell River, so Karley, Makai, Rick and I are spending some time together. The weather, though mild, 19C, is overcast with occasional sunny periods. This morning Karley had an appointment with Linda Nardelli, a gifted channel here in Vancouver, part of her birthday gift from us, so Rick and I were relegated to being babysitters.

When we first arrived at the house, Makai was enjoying his morning nap so we kept ourselves busy until he woke up. Ever since he was born, whenever Rick gets together with him, he whispers "Grandpa, Grandpa, Grandpa" over and over in Makai's ear, hoping that it will be one of the first words he learns. Once he was awake, I changed him and brought him downstairs where "Grandpa" fed him his lunch. They had quite an animated time with the "Grandpa, Grandpa, Grandpa" phrase being interjected between mouthfuls.

Makai has been saying "mumumumum" for some time now and when he hears the "Grandpa" phrase, he moves his mouth up and down like he is miming the words. It is so cute seeing him attempt to say "Grandpa, Grandpa, Grandpa" and even though it comes with no sound yet, I think perhaps Rick's attempts just might bear fruit in the not so distance future.