There IS a Light… PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 18 November 2005 16:00

Last night at 8:30 when I went to bed exhausted, I left Rick’s old computer and his new one (my old one) connected to each other transferring files. I woke up at 2:30 AM and checked to see the outcome of the transfer only to find that it had crashed the new computer so I had to reverse the whole thing and start again. Apparently some of the files were not compatible with the new system so carefully I reviewed all of them and eliminated the culprits on the next transfer. I went back to bed, waking again at 5:30 and this time “presto”, everything was running perfectly. One by one, I checked each program on Rick’s “new” computer and they all work like they are supposed to. There were a few files missing from his email and Internet explorer that I was able to transfer later with no problems. Now when he returns from Vancouver, with the exception of a bigger screen, keyboard and operating system (he had Windows 2000, now he has XP), he will be able to navigate on this one like it was his old one.

I delivered the weekly activity schedule and was relieved that this week there were fewer campers in our delivery area than last week. It meant that I was able to finish earlier and get back to my “computer geek” mode. Once I get embroiled in a computer project, I get tunnel vision and don’t want to stop until it is finished. When you buy a new computer, they come with a bunch of files and junk that aren’t needed and my new one is no exception. Though yesterday I set mine up okay, there were still a few things left to eliminate. Somehow in my furor, I must have managed to delete a file that allowed my CD/DVD burner to work properly and after attempting a variety of system restores through Windows XP, it was evident that it was gone completely. Finally I downloaded a program that came on my old computer, which I was very happy with and now I can happily say everything is as it should be.

Near the end of the day, I received a beautiful arrangement of flowers from my Rickey; (he is always this thoughtful) which totally cheered me up after another frustrating day in “Geekland”. I did have time to tidy things up a little between computer downloads though and the motorhome is starting to look a bit better. Tomorrow I have vowed to do some cleaning and then relax for the rest of the day. I’ll keep you posted on my results!