A Whirlwind PDF Print E-mail
Written by Susan Hollingshead   
Wednesday, 28 November 2007 13:23
nov27.jpgSo once again it has been a while since I wrote last. Not only do I have little time to write, but I have even less time to read…I haven’t read a book or any of my favourite blogs at all lately. The days are running into each other and I realized today that Christmas is less than four weeks away! How did that happen?

We are now officially running AllCare Auto Protection Centre, our new business. Our first five days with the previous owner hovering around was stressful for all; I think he had difficulty letting go and with him there, it was awkward for us to take charge. This week we have the place to ourselves and are meeting some challenges. Evidently Dan (the previous owner) is unfamiliar with the process of selling a business (or he is in the witness protection program Wink) because he neglected to inform anyone but his employees (and that was only done two weeks ago) that he was selling his business. We have been dealing with shocked suppliers (some with outstanding bills) and customers who had no idea that he had even been considering selling. After all, the man was in this location for 13 years! You would think he would say goodbye at least!

Fortunately, once they overcame the initial shock, folks have been welcoming and in some cases, almost relieved that the place has new owners. We have lots of ideas and plans for the future (which involve Bill and Laura who are moving here after Christmas to help us) and the venture feels right. Rick is in his element; helping the “boys” (our employees), dealing with customers and literally, cleaning things up. I am overwhelmed with computerizing things, setting up the books, organizing the office and bringing the administrative things into the 21st century. Dan, though only in his forties, thought computers were “dinosaurs” so until now all bookkeeping was done by hand, often in triplicate, wasting time, paper and money.

Not only was Dan acting like a secret agent, everything was locked and hidden; the office has blinds on every window that have never been opened, the door was always locked and the staff who have been here for over a year have never seen inside it. The funny thing is there was nothing in the office worth stealing and with blinds closed; I couldn’t see what was going on in the waiting room, outside in the yard or in the shop. Needless to say, things are much “brighter” now; we have no secrets and our staff are welcome to come into the office anytime. Somewhere in our busy schedules we have been able to visit Karley, Ian and the kids, get some things done in the condo and I have also been doing some Nerding. Here is a picture of our new business on Brunette Avenue in Coquitlam.