No Fear PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 23 June 2004 00:00
Today we stopped at a farm that we pass everyday on our way to and from Victoria. We have wanted to stop there ever since we arrived because at the end of the driveway is a large "Fudge for Sale" sign. Imagine our surprise to find that they had a little self-serve kiosk with a variety of fudge available in addition to instructions and a slot to put your payment in! This self-serve stand is one of many that we have seen here selling everything from flowers to fresh fruit and vegetables.

If any of you have the opportunity to see Michael Moore's movie, Bowling for Columbine, I highly recommend it. It is a documentary about the use of guns in the US and how American society is fear-based. When we told people of our plans to embark on this life, a few people asked us how we would protect ourselves. Their implication was that we should be armed somehow to keep the evildoers at bay. Since we have been on the road we have yet to encounter any. I believe that part of the reason for this is that we don't go through our lives in fear of what might happen. We trust people to be honest and kind because we are. At the same time we aren't so naïve to think that everyone will be but we live within the philosophy that what goes around comes around. If we are fearful, that negative energy will attract exactly what we are afraid of.

It is nice to be in a place where integrity still means something and people trust each other to be honest. We can all learn something from this island where honour is a common quality. It's not to say that there is no crime (there is) but I feel that there is less of it simply because it is not invited here by the paranoid fear that everyone is out to get you. Oh wouldn't it be wonderful if fearless trust and honesty were a contagious disease with no cure! Undecided