Exploring Our Neighbourhood PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 22 June 2004 00:00
We have gotten quite comfortable with our surroundings here so today we decided to explore the surrounding area. We drove along the road past Weir's Beach and after driving through some pristine forest to a gorgeous point; we ended up at the William Head Correctional Facility! I can hardly believe that such a beautiful waterfront location is being used for a correctional facility and I am painfully aware that we, the taxpayers, foot the bill for it. Mind you, if I was ever jailed for a minor crime (it's minimum security) that is certainly a place I'd like to be.

We then drove to the East Sooke Regional Park, 1,436 hectares in size with 50 kilometers of trails through a variety of terrain. We opted to walk along the shortest path to one of several beaches there, Campbell Cove, a great little beach where we were able to clearly see the mountains across the Juan De Fuca Straight in Washington. It was sunny and warm today but down on the coast the wind made it seem quite cool. There were whitecaps on the water and the few boats we saw out on the water were struggling. It is a popular cove with the seals as we saw several of them and perhaps on another visit we might see some of the river otters, eagles or hawks that frequent the park.

We had a great afternoon touring the nearby areas and on our way back we were rewarded with the sighting of a deer grazing beside the highway, a fairly common occurrence in these parts. It will be difficult to see everything here, but we are going to try!