An Update PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 28 December 2004 00:00

Last night Rick and I went to bed at 10:00 PM and slept until 9:15 this morning. It seems becoming grandparents has had an affect on us; well that and the fact the we had less than four hours sleep the night before. Karley and Ian are envious because they have had much less than that. Between nurses checking on them every hour, junior's need for food and a dry bottom and not being in their own home, sleep is currently a rare luxury, something every new parent has learned. Baby has met both sets of grandparents and his Aunty Morag and Uncle Andy and remains unaffected by all the attention.

His exact birth weight was 8 pounds 6 and 1/2 ounces, his length was 21 and 1/2 inches long and he was born at 2:02 AM on December 27th. His first name is yet to be determined but his parents are feeling the pressure from everyone to find a moniker that they are both happy with soon. Meanwhile the grandparents have all settled in with our new names. Becky and Lachie, Ian's folks, will be known as Nana and Poppa and Rick and I are Granni and Grandpa. (Note: it is Granni with an "i" not a "y".) The grandparent I was closest to growing up was my Dad's mom, Granny. Even though she lived across the Atlantic in England, we spent a lot of time with her and I loved her very much. And I have always been unconventional so I came up with a different way to spell Granni.

Tomorrow the new family will be returning to their house and we will be there for as much or as little as we are needed. Karley and Ian are both adapting well to their new roles but are looking forward to sleeping in their own bed again with their baby in a bassinette nearby. It has been an exciting few days for all of us and tonight we left the new parents and their baby to rest at the hospital while we celebrated together at a restaurant. Andy and Morag are flying back to Alberta in the morning but Nana and Poppa will stay around long enough to see their firstborn bring his firstborn home. (They live in Victoria.) Oh and by the way, did I tell you that the baby is beautiful? Wink