Happy Mother's Day PDF Print E-mail
Saturday, 07 May 2005 16:00
Rick and I spent time with our mothers last night and this morning so today we decided to drive to Lindsay to see Helen (Jim's Mom). She is a very special lady and has been more like a mother to me than my own mother since the day I first met her over 30 years ago. To put it bluntly, I love her dearly and feel a closeness to her that I never felt before with anyone else. She is not just my late husband's mom, she is also my children's grandmother, my dear friend and like a mom to both Rick and I.

We arrived at Helen's house this afternoon and she greeted us with the loving enthusiasm we have grown accustomed to (as well as a couple of homemade butter tarts!). Fortunately because she is still fit enough to get around, we do get to see her more often than our own mothers so we last visited with her in Vancouver in February. Since then she has purchased a new car and a new computer, both of which she proudly showed us. While we were there I helped her to print off a gorgeous colour picture of her new great-grandson, Makai for her to show off to her neighbours. Even though we were only there for a couple of hours it seemed more like minutes and soon we had to head back to Orillia.

I consider myself extremely lucky to have had two really terrific "mother's-in-law" in my life, first Jim's mom, Helen and then Rick's mom, Bea and today I honour them and my mother. I also honour all moms, moms-in-law and grand-moms the world over! Have a great day, folks!