A Pilot? PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 02 June 2005 16:00
This morning while Karley worked out at the Orillia YMCA, I babysat Makai by taking him for a very long walk in town. While we were walking along Fittons Road in Orillia, I could hear the familiar roar of an Armed Forces F18 jet streaking across the sky above me. The "familiar" sound was one I grew up hearing when my dad was a pilot in the Canadian Armed Forces. While we were growing up, Dad would often do "fly-overs", even periodically breaking the speed of sound (a big no-no, even then), a sort of "greeting" to my sister and I. And to this day, that roar still excites me and brings back many fond memories.

As it turns out I know the pilot of today's "fly-over" well and as soon as I could hear the jet, I suspected it was Mark LaVerdiere, formerly of Orillia, a CAF pilot stationed in Saskatchewan. Mark was making a quick stop to have lunch with his folks, Dick and Shirley on his way back from picking up the jet in Montreal where it had been for repairs. He was able to use the Simcoe Regional Airport to land the plane but not before providing the hundreds of attendees and vendors at the Barrie Automotive Flea Market with a thrilling, private mini air show.

Mark worked for us at Grandview Lodge the summer before he headed to Thunderbay to attend Confederation College from where he subsequently joined the Canadian Air Force. Unfortunately, by the time Jamie attended the same school, the air force option was no longer available due to military cutbacks. He too would have loved to fly a jet like his beloved grandfather, my Dad, Dick Ainsley and our friend Mark LaVerdiere. Flying seems to be in the blood so maybe by the time HE grows up, Makai will become a pilot too?!? Wink