A Day At The Barrie Automotive Flea Market PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 03 June 2005 16:00
Until Rick came into my life, I had never been to an "automotive flea market" and really knew nothing about it. The Barrie Automotive Flea Market is held twice a year and is considered to be the largest of its kind in Canada. The description "automotive" is really a deceiving word because there are vendors selling everything from car parts to jewellery and tools to clothing as well as everything in between. It is a car buffs dream and if anyone is into people watching, there is no better place to do it. The event runs from Thursday thru Sunday and it draws folks from all across the Canada and the upper United States looking for that special bargain or hard-to-find automobile part.

This year Graham had a booth set up at the flea market and all week Rick, Richard (Graham's son-in-law and Dana's husband) and Graham worked to set it up in time for the opening on Thursday. Today, Karley, Makai and I ventured over to Burl's Creek (the flea market's location) to visit and see the guys in action. Rosanne, Rob, Gayle, Bill, Laura, Dana, Noah, Richard's folks and Karley's friend Amy also attended so for us it was a real social event. Fortunately, the day was mostly overcast which helped to keep the temperatures from reaching the high 20's, which along with the humidity would have made for an uncomfortable afternoon. Because Rick was working and I was visiting, we didn't walk around together and check out the booths or the people like we usually do. I guess we'll save that for the fall if we are still here by then.

Makai was well received and enjoyed the attention he attracted from all the visitors but by 4:00 PM, he was exhausted so we headed home for quiet evening of packing (we are busy all day tomorrow and Karley is getting ready to leave on Monday) and TV watching.