Hot and Hazy PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 10 June 2005 16:00
The weather here is very unseasonable; hot, muggy with poor air-quality, something not usually experienced until July and August. Fortunately we have air-conditioning in our motorhome but as soon as we go outside, we are enveloped by the thick, sticky atmosphere. This morning Rick and I both went for a long bicycle ride before the air became too thick and Orillia was alive with the usual influx of garage sale hounds at every turn.

This time of year is when many folks start cleaning out their cupboards, nooks and crannies and a garage sale is the ideal venue to dispose of their junk. One man's junk is another man's treasure and Orillia is home to hundreds of "treasure hunters". When we moved my parents from their home in Coldwater to the "Granny Flat" we had built for them at our house, we hosted our first garage sale. New to the game, we had no idea how hungry some people are for that special "bargain" and we had them at our door long before the announced "opening" time of 8:00 AM. The second time we had a garage sale, I roped off the entrance to our long driveway in order to keep the "hunters" out until we were ready for them. Even then we had a few vultures show up a day early to see if they might find that treasure they were looking for, getting a head start on their peers.

We returned to the motorhome shrouded in sweat from the physical exertion but mostly from the humidity and were it not for the fact that Lake Simcoe is still very cold, a swim in it was very enticing. I settled for a cool shower and then headed out for another acupuncture appointment on my shoulder. As much as I am squeamish about having the tiny needles inserted in my neck, shoulder and hand, I think the process is working. Between the massage I had on Thursday and this second round of acupuncture my shoulder is finally feeling a lot better and as long as I stay indoors, the weather isn't so bad either.