The Company We Keep PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 05 July 2005 00:00
There is an expression, "Successful people surround themselves with successful people" and so that statement applies to every situation. Fear begets fear and cheer begets cheer. In other words, when we surround ourselves with negative thinking people, in short order we find ourselves feeling down and depressed and when we surround ourselves with positive thinkers we are uplifted and happy. We have all been in situations where we encounter people who seem to pull us down and hence we distance ourselves from them to prevent it from happening again. In my world, those folks are called energy vampires and they can literally suck the life out of other people. I have learned to identify those kinds and whenever I have to be near them, I carefully imagine myself surrounded by a safe, white light and I don't allow their energy in so as to preserve my own.

Fortunately, for much of my life (for the most part) I have surrounded myself with very positive, cheerful energetic people. My afternoon yesterday with Rosanne, Arie and Douwina was exhilarating and today it was enhanced by another therapeutic massage with Kimberley Arts, who has been working on my shoulder and neck with terrific results. I left there feeling better than I have for a long time and when I arrived back home Rick greeted me with more good news. We were going to take his mom out for dinner and even though she struggles with her failing memory, I always enjoy her company.

We picked Bea up from the retirement home where she lives in Stroud shortly after five and headed into Barrie. We chose the Yummy House, one of our favourite Oriental restaurants and a place we had taken her to before. Our evening was fun as well as delicious and it was nice to spend some time with Bea especially knowing that in less than two months, we will be driving back to the west coast for who knows how long. It's such a privilege to be a part of a family of high energy people whose mom has evidently been a great example and I am very grateful.