Back Again PDF Print E-mail
Sunday, 14 August 2005 16:00
Last evening, while driving around the Leamington/Kingsville area we noticed that all the waterways (canals, rivers, inlets) leading into Lake Erie were covered in a thick layer of green duckweed. It reminded me of the duckweed Rick and the maintenance staff had to clear off of the lagoon at Grandview Lodge every summer. It would blanket the lagoon, choking off the valuable air supply needed to aerate the water, which in turn would cause the water to stagnate and produce an unpleasant odour. I wondered if the duckweed along the shores here caused any problems other than the abundance of mosquitoes that swarmed around us as the sun set. For dinner, we enjoyed a feast of fresh local vegetables, which we ate at the picnic table until the bugs drove us inside.

This morning, after breakfast we headed over to the yard where we were picking up our new trailer. We needed a new hitch assembly as well as some D rings used to tie down the car in the trailer installed before we could actually leave. Needless to say, our planned arrival time home (4:00 PM) became our departure time instead and we didn't get to Coldwater until it was past 10:00 PM.

We are parking our rig in my sister's yard just outside of Coldwater for the next three weeks. She and Fred will be traveling out west with us then for their vacation and parking at their house will make it easier for packing later. Rosanne lives a few kilometres away so Rob met us on County Road 17 on our way to the Shaw homestead. We transferred her bags and said our goodbyes on the highway before pulling into the Fred and Christine's driveway. By the time it was 11:00 PM we fell into bed, tired from a long day but comfortable knowing we will be parked here until September.