Greek Salad Recipe PDF Print E-mail
Monday, 22 August 2005 16:00

greek-salad.jpgAs many of my friends and family can attest, I am a reasonably good cook even though my methods have evolved considerably over the years. I started this interest in culinary arts when I was very young and still own my very first cookbook acquired when I was only 9 years old. To this day, I love reading cookbooks and magazine recipes in the same fashion that a sports fiend reads the sports page of the newspaper.

When I first learned to cook, it was in the traditional "meat and potatoes" modality but since becoming a "vegaquarian" (we also eat fish) over ten years ago; my interest lies primarily in vegetarian cooking now. I have been blessed with the ability to create my own recipes by using my discriminating taste buds and experimenting (usually with some degree of success) with a variety of ingredients. While still very much a stay-at-home mom, I even entered a couple of local cooking recipes, snagging a prize or two and having my recipes published. Very often though, I will create something and never write down what I used so many recipes change considerably from one meal to the next. I am often asked for my recipes and the following recipe for Susan's Greek Salad is also available in the "Best Recipes of the Century" cookbook put out by the Breast Cancer Society of Canada. The dressing is simple, can be stored for weeks in the fridge and can be adjusted according to individual taste so feel free to experiment with it. Enjoy this salad in the spirit that it is given! 

Susan's Greek Salad

Salad Ingredients

2 medium tomatoes, diced or a small basket of grape tomatoes, washed

1 large head of romaine lettuce, washed and broken into bite-sized pieces (baby romaine works well too!)

1 small Bermuda onion or a bunch of green onions, diced

1 13oz. can or jar of pitted black or kalamata olives, sliced

1 & 1/2 cups of crumbled feta cheese

1 & 1/2 cups of cucumber, peeled and diced

Dressing Ingredients

6 medium cloves of garlic

2 & 1/2 cups of light olive oil

1/2 cup white wine vinegar (this type is essential)

2 Tbsp. dried oregano

1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp. Freshly ground pepper

1 tsp. Salt

1/2 tsp. Dried mustard

1/2 tsp. Paprika

Combine all dressing ingredients in a one litre wide-mouth mason jar

Using a hand blender, mix all ingredients until garlic is chopped and everything is well blended

Toss all salad ingredients in large serving bowl with 1/4 to 1/3 jar of salad dressing