Wouldn’t It Be Nice PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 19 January 2006 16:00

Everytime we drive anywhere around here I am in awe of the view around us and I have to wonder if the folks who grew up here or live here now feel the same way. Do they appreciate the incredible view, the rugged hills, the clear blue sky and desert plants that we can’t seem to get enough of? Or do they just take it for granted like so many of us do with our own back yards?

That is human nature after all, to miss the obvious and take everything that Mother Nature provides us for granted. At least that is what happens when we rush through our lives in a hurry to get to the next destination, whether it is a time or a place. There was a time in my life, not so long ago, when I didn’t notice the colour of the soil or the shape of a cloud because I was too busy looking at a passing car or a person’s hair or clothing; unimportant things, really. People get caught up in the desire to reach their goals and miss the journey that gets them there…human nature.

I feel fortunate that after traveling blindly through my life for many years I finally realized how important it is to appreciate what I used to take for granted. Once I reached that point, suddenly my life took on a whole new meaning and became a lot more interesting. I love this area and all the beauty that surrounds it but I see beauty in every area we venture to; deserts, mountains, oceans, lakes and even what at first appears to be barren wasteland. Life is good; we’ve slowed down now enough to appreciate the grace in everything around us and my wish is that everyone can find the beauty in their lives too.