It’s Official PDF Print E-mail
Monday, 06 February 2006 16:00

Today I crossed that line, the one going from being 50 years old to being in the “I am in my 50’s” club. Why is it that I feel no different than I did 25 years ago except that my skin is more wrinkled and I have lines on my face that weren’t there before? (and I won’t even mention my aging body!) When I got up this morning I seriously didn’t even remember that it was my birthday and had it not been for the beautiful card from Rick, tucked into my computer I might have forgotten about it all day. (Well, I did receive a call each from Jamie, Karley, my sister Christine and Rick’s sister Marilyn and I got emails from Helen and friends Mort in Newmarket and Barb in Barrie and an eCard from Bill, so I suppose I wouldn’t have escaped it completely!)

Rather than do much here, we have decided that Cancun will be where we will celebrate both of our birthdays by exploring some of the local area along with the Mayan Ruins. We did dig out our knapsacks and we researched the weather in Cancun so that we’ll know what to pack. Vern, our bird carving instructor/friend came by to offer us his services to drive us to the airport on Saturday morning AND pick us up again on the evening of the 18th when we return. (He is SO nice!)

We are definitely excited about our upcoming vacation and Saturday is fast approaching so we need to do some things to prepare for it. Aside from learning about the weather, the resort we are staying at and the various Mayan Ruins sites in the area, I have been reading a little about the Mayan culture. We have rented a car for the week and I called our credit card company to confirm that we have car insurance there by using the card to pay for the rental. The water at the resort is purified, the restaurants are supposed to be excellent and there are other great ones in some neighbouring towns. Although there are many businesses, hotels and resorts that are still closed from damage caused after hurricane Rita, fortunately the one we are going to isn’t one of them and there is even an intact Wal-Mart nearby. Yup, it is official…I am now 51 (same as Rick) and we are both really looking forward to our birthday vacation to Cancun.