Giant Baby Steps PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 27 April 2006 16:00

The desert spring is starting to descend upon us very rapidly but we have been extremely lucky thus far. Today the high reached 29C or 84.2F the hottest for a while but the forecast over the next week is calling for much warmer temperatures of 33-36C or in the low to high 90’sF. One would think that it would be dry heat (being in the desert) but due to the 125+ golf courses in the valley they now deal with humidity here as well. Today, the pollution drifting in from LA made the visibility so poor, we could barely make out the mountains that surround us and we are definitely anxious to be getting out of here. Even though the oleander bushes are in full blossom and the cultivated gardens throughout the valley are beautiful, it is time to hit the road again.

It was a good day for me as I made some giant baby steps and I am really happy with myself. Aside from finally sleeping in the bed (which was glorious), I showered (mostly standing at that), dressed my incision and myself, all without becoming weepy and emotional like yesterday. I even managed to do a load of laundry and make myself a cup of miso soup for lunch almost unassisted (I needed Rick’s help to get the kettle out from its storage spot under the sink). (As you can tell, things I used to take for granted have suddenly become huge deals for me but it’s progress and that too is good.)

This afternoon I accompanied Rick while he ran some errands in Desert Hot Springs, even though I stayed in the car at each stop, it was still an outing…and another giant baby step. I did spend the rest of the afternoon and evening being looked after but, hey, I’m getting there. Tomorrow I have another post-op check up so hopefully another suture or two will be removed making a May 8th or 9th departure a real possibility. With the weather getting hotter and me using the pool out of the question, I really want to start heading northwest soon to a milder, more comfortable climate.