Counting Down PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 02 May 2006 16:00

We started our day early, thanks to the chorus of birds outside the window and the fact that I had another post-op appointment this morning at 9:00. Yippee! I am now suture free and we have been given a cautionary green light to leave here on Monday. In reading back on the past three weeks, I guess I’ve come a long way and interestingly, I see such a connection in the whole surgical process I have endured and the loss of my Mom. (All maternal things that in a variety of ways are intertwined and you’d have to see my scar to understand it all (which you won’t), but it is now just another part of my history.) Still, though physically progressing with great strides, I am often caught off guard emotionally and the tiniest thing will set off some tears thinking about my Mom. This year I am dreading Mother’s Day like I dreaded Father’s Day both in 1994 (my kids first one without their Dad) and again in 2001, (my first one without my Dad).

The weather cooled down significantly today (as forecasted) and though still sunny and hazy, it only reached a high of 33C (91.4F). We did a little shopping at the outlet mall in Cabazon for gifts at Carter’s and Osh Kosh (children’s stores) to take back for you-know-who and then went and visited with a friend here in the park.

Tonight, “I” made the salad and Rick barbecued, though I think he almost wanted to prepare the whole meal. It’s nice to be getting back to normal again (making me feel a lot less guilty about not contributing for the past three weeks) and becoming more like my old self. I can’t gauge yet if Rick is really pleased about this or not because I make more mess when I am mobile and I think he kind of liked being in control of that department. I do know one thing though, he is really happy about the fact that he will finally get to drive this Moho again in just a few more days.