Eugene, Oregon…Familiar Surroundings PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 17 May 2006 16:00

The good news is we are back in Eugene, Oregon, a place that we enjoy and a place where we can find stores and restaurants where we can eat healthily. The bad news is not ALL restaurants are what they seem. Last night, because we arrived late in the day, we decided to eat out at a Thai restaurant we had been to and enjoyed before. Our meal was delicious like the last time BUT we both woke up early this morning with wicked headaches. Sad as it is to say, everything points to the fact that the food was probably laced with MSG, an additive commonly used by some restaurants and a known migraine trigger.

We both slept in until 9:30 AM, something we haven’t done in years and even then, we still had throbbing heads! Rick managed to go outside and do some polishing (at a much slower than normal pace), but I was pretty much a blob on the couch, unable to move at any speed and feeling like crap all day. By the time Rick was finished, I had accomplished the job of defrosting the freezer (which badly needed it), had showered and posted on the Blog but did nothing else and it was almost 4:00PM!!

We had to go grocery shopping (we had no fresh food on board) and we were hungry so we went out for groceries and to try our luck at a different restaurant. I had researched on line and found several organic, vegan or vegetarian eateries here so we headed to one called the Pizza Research Institute a funky, hole-in-the-wall restaurant in the heart of the college area. We had warm spinach salad and a slice of pizza like we’ve never experienced before (it had a herb crust, a swipe of tomato sauce, spinach, potatoes, zucchini, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, black olives, onions, peppers, mushroom, tofu cheese, fresh herbs AND…get this…a peach slice!). All I can say is “you gotta try it before you condemn it” and it was really good. After stops at Trader Joes (yay!!) and Sundance Natural Foods we headed home with some healthy supplies to keep us fed for the next few days. It’s nice to be here, at the Deerwood RV Park , back in Eugene and back in familiar territory where healthy eating can be simple as long as you know where to go. Needless to say, I wasn’t taking many pictures today. This one is a shot of this park.