Suzy Homemaker to The Rescue PDF Print E-mail
Monday, 12 June 2006 16:00

When someone I love is sick, I get into some previously unseen maternal mode and start cooking and baking. It’s like some deep instinct that emerges only when needed to create comfort food for the person suffering. Rick thinks I am being cruel because he can’t or doesn’t feel well enough to eat, when in fact I think it is an effort to entice him to do just that. At any rate today he was back in the horizontal position for most of the day so I cooked. This time I made ginger snaps (ginger settles the stomach) and a mild curry (again with lots of ginger) hoping that they would be the thing he needed to bring him back to this side of feeling well.

Karley, Makai and I ventured into Mission this morning to go to The Pantry Natural Foods store downtown. From the street, it looked like a tiny store but once inside it was a gold mine loaded with anything and everything you could think of in the way of maintaining good health, all reasonably priced. There are no Trader Joe’s in Canada and we are missing some of the products, especially their granola, so I decided to make my own. I bought a huge variety of organic grain flakes, dried organic unsweetened fruit, seeds and raw nuts as well as a few veggies for the curry. I also got some recommendations from them as to what vitamins and herbs I can take to keep my immune system strong to avoid getting Rick’s flu (very important).

Whatever it was, the all day nap or the thought of eating some good food, by 5:00 PM Rick was up and feeling great again, so let’s hope it lasts this time. After supper he spent some time doing some of the things that he wanted to finish yesterday once he moved the motorhome (one being cutting some boards to put under one of the back jacks of the motorhome to level it because the pavement is sloped slightly for the rain). We now have a usable patio area, the moho is open to it's full size and we are level...how good is that?