A Leave of Absence PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 13 July 2006 16:00

The B & B we are staying at is out in the country and part of a hobby farm. It really reminds us of the days when we too ran a B & B/hobby farm which we quite enjoyed. Our hosts Christine and Rick (easy names for me to remember; Rick is obvious and my sister’s name is Christine) raise goats, sheep and some chickens like we did and Christine is an avid gardener. The house is surrounded by gorgeous gardens, vegetables and flowers, which she uses in her cooking and décor. Our room has a fireplace, an ensuite bathroom, a door leading out to the swimming pool and patio doors leading into one of the gardens. This morning we were served warm rolls, granola with yogurt, fresh fruit and soft boiled eggs; all of which was delicious and our table was decorated with newly cut flowers. Our king-size bed has wonderful European duvets on it and we slept like babies last night though I did hear a lone coyote roaming by at around 4:00 this morning.

This afternoon I called Karley to see how she was doing and I was relieved to hear that yesterday she and Ian devised a plan that would get her some much needed sleep. She had expressed some milk over the course of her day so that while she slept, Ian would bottle feed Monet. The plan worked well and though Ian is a little sleep deprived today, they are both well rested and Karley is feeling more like her old self again. Yesterday, I had noticed that she was quickly losing her pregnancy weight and she tells me she is shrinking rapidly. She has already lost 25 lbs in less than a week and no doubt seeing her toes again has helped her to feel better.

We are missing “our” family but we are feeling good about them, knowing that they are coping well without us despite the concerns we all had yesterday about our leave of absence. This is a picture of our room at the B & B.