A Windy Day PDF Print E-mail
Sunday, 15 October 2006 16:00

The Coachella Valley is know for it’s wind; in fact there are hundreds of giant windmills here used to supplement the electric grid. Last winter we experienced some of the wind and though it is a nuisance, we didn’t find it to be too bad. Most days during the winter months were pretty still and the few windy days we had weren’t incapacitating. The wind is worse over here on the north side of I-10 and when we head over to the south side where Palm Springs is located, often they have no wind at all. We experienced it on a different level yesterday because we were riding the motorcycle.

Today, it was the windiest we have ever seen it, so windy in fact, that the mountain I have photographed and featured here so many times in the past was completely obliterated by the blowing sand. We started the day with the windows open; the “breeze” was nice, refreshing almost but soon enough, we closed the Moho up tight and put on the air-conditioners. If they’d been left open for long, it wouldn’t have been long before a thick layer of fine sandy dust would have covered everything and all my hard work from the last two days would have been a waste of time.

This morning Rick got started working on the putting green, his task for the winter. In the months while we were away the folks at the park kept it watered but with the heat here in the summertime, it is in pretty tough shape. The good news is that it is still way better than it was last year when he started on it so hopefully it won’t take as long to have it playable. My office duties will probably start next week and my computer classes will begin in November when all the activities get underway. In the meantime, I spent my afternoon reading (inside) and Rick spent his polishing the trailer outside. Life is good!