The Fire Continues PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 26 October 2006 16:00

Last night we went to the Palm Springs Village Fest primarily so we could buy some homemade soap. There is a vendor there who sells the best soap and the last stuff we bought was almost all gone. Because the weather is so good, still warm and dry, and parking is easier with it, we took the motorcycle. We enjoyed some Thai food for dinner and after we strolled through the Village Fest, we rode back to the park.

As we rode home, we could clearly see the fire burning in Cabazon. As of this writing, it has consumed almost 40,000 acres and is still only 25% contained. 10 homes have been destroyed and over 500 homes and 3 businesses are threatened by the flames. This is only one of several major fires to have hit this area this year but it is the most deadly one so far. As well as killing four firefighters and critically injuring one, there have been five civilian injuries as well. The wind that blows through Banning Pass (where the fire is) is complicating things and making it very difficult to fight.

Tonight’s sunset was obliterated by the smoke that is still billowing from the fire and try as I might, a truly descriptive photograph was impossible. I am still without my camera and fumbling when I use Rick’s so this is the best I could get!