Rocking With INXS PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 30 November 2006 16:00

It has been many years since we have attended a “Rock” concert and certainly it is the first time we have attended one together. Actually, we learned that many years ago, we both attended a Pink Floyd concert in Hamilton at the same time but it was before we knew each other, so it really doesn’t count.

Fans of the band from the 80’s and 90’s, our interest in INXS was renewed last fall (2005) when we crossed Canada with my sister, Christine, and her husband Fred. They had been watching the Rock Star reality show in which INXS was actively auditioning potential replacements for Michael Hutchence, their former lead singer who had committed suicide in 1997. We started watching the show and when the winner of the contest was JD Fortune, a native Canuk, we were pretty excited.

Last night was their final show of a tour which took in 241 performances. It was loud (as all rock concerts are) but we weren’t disappointed. JD certainly has become a great front man for the band and performs like he has been with them from their beginning. They performed a number of well known INXS songs with a JD twist, as well as Pretty Vegas, the song that he co-penned clinching his win in the Rock Star contest. It was a great show ending with a surprise guest guitarist (who at this writing remains unknown) who put on quite a performance. It was evident that the band was pleased to have him there as there was an air of excitement on the stage. No doubt tonight they had quite a party after the show to celebrate the end of a grueling and successful year!

I neglected to take my camera, believing it wasn’t allowed, so this is a publicity photo of the band taken from the internet.