Thoughts PDF Print E-mail
Written by Susan Hollingshead   
Wednesday, 22 August 2007 02:41
aug 22a-07.jpgWhat brought us to the decision to go back to sticks and bricks, working for a living and settling into a new life…again. Honestly, in 52 years we have both worn so many hats you would think we would remain content just roaming around aimlessly but that isn’t the case. Our idyllic lifestyle had to come to end at some point.

When we met folks along our way we were always greeted with “you seem so young to be retired” and we always responded truthfully with a “we’re not retired, we’re just taking a break”. Oh we could have been gypsies indefinitely provided we budgeted for everything, counted our pennies, parked everywhere for a month or more at a time and volunteered as needed but that isn’t what we are about. It seems to me if we are going to stop and work for our parking fees, it would make more sense to work for ourselves and build up our coffers so that the next “retirement” continues to sustain the lifestyle we are accustomed to.

I simply don’t like to plan for every nickel I spend. I like being able to buy something when I want to and not have to worry if it fits in my budget. As I told my sister who has known me my entire life and wholeheartedly agrees, “I have always lived a good life and being frugal just is not my way”. And so here we are, about to enter a new chapter in our book of life.

Today, Karley and Makai joined us in Yaletown where we spent a great day in and around the condo. With all the painting completed, it is nice to just enjoy being here and we did. While Makai napped, Karley ran errands; Rick went for a massage and I sewed curtains. Tonight Jay joined us for a dinner at a nearby eatery and then he and Karley went to the show while we minded our little overnight guest. Makai was engrossed with the activities on the streets and had great fun naming all the cars he knew!