Stunned and Devastated PDF Print E-mail
Written by Susan Hollingshead   
Tuesday, 28 August 2007 12:55
aug 29-07.jpgAs many of you know who have been following our website, I have been journaling everyday for almost four years. The website has evolved a lot in that time and I have had my share of aggravations with the Internet and most recently, the hosting company where our site resides. Yesterday the whole server came tumbling down and when i-Guru went to restore everything, they discovered that not only had their server crashed but it wasn’t doing a daily back-up either. They restored our site, along with whoever else was hosted on that machine, to their latest back-up which sadly (for me) was April 6, 2007. In other words, everything I did from April 7th to August 27th, 2007 is gone, vanished, destroyed.

Since April 7th I had altered the website; melded some categories together, added a link to Flickr where I have stored a lot of pictures and a link to “Where We are Now”. I also went back to the beginning and page by page repaired and added hundreds of links, corrected any errors and made sure that pictures were attached to the right pages. I had gotten as far as August 4, 2004 and now all of that is gone or undone too. I am devastated. I do have every entry and every picture saved individually on my external hard drive and if I wanted to spend the next couple of months doing nothing but working at it, I could redo almost everything, but I am seeing this as just another sign to quit.

I had planned to write until the Moho was sold but this is a setback I was not anticipating and as a result of it, this will be my second last entry. My next entry will be of the “FOR SALE, 1 loved motorhome” and all of the corresponding pictures. The site in its current state will remain for sometime yet and I will still gladly respond to any emails you send. This site has been a work of love; I have recorded our RVing adventures as well as family matters, health issues, food reviews, technical issues and general day to day events. As I write this my eyes are welling with tears because it is like saying goodbye to a dear old friend and it makes my heart hurt. Never have I been so dedicated to anything like this before and I will miss it tremendously. Perhaps, if I have time in the next few months I will try to restore things but I will make no promises. So my friends, goodbye for now and know it has been a blast!

This morning there was heavy dew covering everything and when I looked out the window I could see this nearly perfect spider’s web complete with its maker. By the time I pulled myself together to take a picture the sun had changed position so this is the best I could get.