Mission Has Mosquitoes PDF Print E-mail
Written by Susan Hollingshead   
Tuesday, 03 July 2007 13:05
july 4-07.jpg…and humidity! Who would’ve known that we would experience either of those wretched Ontario-like inflictions here? Last summer we rarely saw any of the blood sucking critters; they were few and far between but with all the rain BC has had this spring, is it any wonder that they have bred in masses? Undecided

Actually until the latest bout of warm weather the mosquitoes were around but not plentiful until this past weekend and they are now as thick as I have ever seen them in Ontario. The difference between the BC brand and their Ontario cousins is their size; BC mosquitoes are miniscule in comparison but their lust for blood is no different at all. Makai and Ian have been targeted by them as their quantity of welts can attest but fortunately the rest of us have remained less tasty (it must be that Scottish MacLachlan blood! Wink). Actually I learned many years ago that biting insects are repelled by the scent of Vitamin B1 coming through our skin so yesterday I made a visit to the health food store to buy some for the two generations of MacLachlan males. Evidently Karley, Rick and I have enough B1 odour to be left alone (probably from our daily intake of Greens+) and Monet is possibly getting hers from her organic formula.

As a result of the blood sucking festival in Mission we have been staying indoors a lot which with this fabulous weather is a real shame. Rick and I have doctor’s appointments early tomorrow morning so this afternoon we came into Vancouver to stay at the condo overnight. I am thrilled to say that mosquitoes don’t live in Yaletown and none of the Mission ones followed us so this evening we have been able to sit outside to read and enjoy the weather. Seen here is our view!

I also want to say Happy July 4th to all our American friends; I hope you are enjoying your holiday! Laughing