A Fabulous Day in Texas PDF Print E-mail
Written by Susan Hollingshead   
Tuesday, 10 April 2007 13:24

apr 11-07.jpgThis morning though the sky was overcast when we woke up, the forecast was promising a mostly clear day with highs near 30°C (86°F). It seemed like a perfect day to explore Galveston, about 75 miles southeast of here on the gulf coast. The forecast proved to be accurate and we had an awesome day.

Galveston was gorgeous with miles of beaches interspersed with residential homes on stilts and hotels, restaurants, shops and tourist attractions. We are here during a low season; apparently the place gets very busy in the summer months and several businesses were readying themselves for their reopening in a few weeks. We drove along the coast, took pictures all around and walked along the beach for a while enjoying what had become a beautiful day. After an unmemorable seafood lunch at local eatery (we later discovered many more that may have been better) he headed back to Houston.

On our way back we stopped at Fry’s Electronics, a massive store that carries everything electronic that you can think of and more. We had seen a Fry’s store in Vegas but didn’t bother to explore it then, however today we had time and it was easily accessible to us. Oh my, did we have fun there! We looked at tools, computers, televisions, GPS systems, refrigerators, magazines, radios, speakers, iPod accessories, cameras and small kitchen appliances and imagined the ways we could (re)accessorize our home.

From there we headed to Seabrook, Texas, a beautiful community half way between Houston and Galveston on Galveston Bay. Our main reason for going there was because of the name; it was Jim’s last name and is the last name of my three children. What a find! Seabrook and its smaller neighbour, Kemah, are wonderful communities with beautiful waterfront homes, marinas, harbours and boardwalks. We strolled along the Kemah Boardwalk, explored the various amusements and enjoyed a fabulous seafood buffet at The Crab House overlooking the bay, a perfect ending to a fabulous day.

I took this picture from our seat at The Crab House Restaurant as the sun was setting.