The Cape of Florida PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 19 February 2004 00:00
 It is still unseasonably cool here though today they were calling for high's in the low 20's C (70's F). We put our bikes on the car and drove out to Key Biscayne to the Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park. This park is only 15 minutes from downtown Miami and it is rated as one of the top 10 beaches in the U.S.

It was first discovered by Ponce De Leon in 1513 and at that time named Cape of Florida. Due to the hundreds of shipwrecks caused from the hidden sandbars and submerged reefs, a network of lighthouses was built along Florida's eastern seaboard starting in 1821. There is still a lighthouse that was originally built in 1825, destroyed twice and rebuilt again (to stay) in 1846 where two guided tours are available daily. (we were too late for them today). There are numerous paved biking trails as well as dirt hiking trails and wooden boardwalks leading to the beach areas throughout the park. They even have bicycle rentals for anyone unable to bring their own.

After an enjoyable afternoon of riding and basking in the sun on the beach we headed back to our campground but not without making a pit stop at a local strawberry farm. We discovered this farm within 30 minutes of setting up camp on our first day here thanks to Gene, our neighbour from Oklahoma who took Rick there to buy strawberries. At this little stand, they make their own soft, strawberry ice-cream and their fresh strawberry sundaes are to die for! They also sell tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, cauliflower as well as the wonderful, sweet strawberries. I try to justify this ice cream treat by telling myself that it's okay because I am eating fruit!Wink