Datastorm Revisited PDF Print E-mail
Saturday, 12 June 2004 00:00
We are experiencing an untypical June here on Vancouver Island. It has been unseasonably cool and today it has rained since mid-morning, almost non-stop. In speaking with my friends in Ontario, I have heard that they are also enjoying some unusual weather with frost warnings in some areas this weekend. At least we are not alone! The forecast for next week is considerably better so with some luck we will see some improvements.

Today, Armand arrived here to repair the Datastorm system and get our satellite Internet up and running. I haven't been too concerned about it lately because we are using cable, however it still needs to be repaired for the future. Armand is the national sales manager and the technician who originally installed it in Ontario and he drove into BC from Calgary on Friday. We are replacing the server computer and reconfiguring the system, as it is completely non-functional the way it is and it is not a small job. First, he wanted to see if he could pinpoint the original problem and after a couple of frustrating hours he simply swapped the old server with the new one. From there he has determined that the new modems were not properly initiated but we are still unsure why the old ones crashed. At any rate, due to the time difference in Ontario and the length of time it has taken, the job won't be completed until Sunday, but at least we are on the right track.

Until the modems stopped working, the system worked relatively well and I had few complaints. Mobile Internet is still a fairly new technology and we are almost guinea pigs with our system. Like all technology, it is constantly changing with improvements coming out daily and when our modems died, it was a unique problem. I have to say that Armand has literally gone out of his way to ensure that we are being looked after. My kitchen/livingroom is a little crowded for now but once all is up and running, it'll go back to looking the way it should!