Friends PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 25 June 2004 00:00
I love pets because they are great friends, loyal and loving and such wonderful companions. They come in all shapes, sizes, genders, breeds and varieties: they can be boisterous or docile, energetic or lethargic but to their owners, they are perfect. Throughout the past 40 odd years, I have always had pets; birds, cats and dogs, even a turtle and a lizard (when I was 10) and I loved them all. In the past 30 years my pets were limited to dogs ranging in sizes from Great Danes to Miniature Schnauzers and a variety of cats from large longhaired Himalayans to small Devon Rex's.

By observing them, we can learn so much.. Through them we are taught the art of patience, devotion, love and kindness. When we go out for a few hours, Sam, our cat greets us at the door. She sits on her haunches and reaches up to us so we will pick her up and she shows her love by purring madly. Today as we were driving into town, we were behind a man driving with his little dog sitting beside him. His "buddy" would look over to him and wag his tail at every light like he was just happy to be with him. We stopped by our friend's house and we watched as their two dogs contentedly followed Michael around, looking for a pat on the head or a scratch behind the ear. They aren't demanding, they don't talk back, they just love unconditionally.

I feel sorry for people who have never experienced the love of a pet for they are missing out on something that can be learned no other way. I am grateful to my parents for showing me to love and respect these animal-friends and I consider myself to be very lucky to be the recipient of so much devotion.