Support PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 24 November 2004 00:00

Yesterday, Jay started to work out with some hand weights to keep his upper body strength up. He has been working out at a gym for several years now and he is missing it. His running days are on hold for a while so it gives him something to look forward to that retains some normalcy of his previous life. Everyday, weather permitting, we try to walk for a while but today the weather was miserable, cold and snowy.

Two old friends of ours came over for a visit, Ilene Sova and Andrew Imrie, both ex-employees from the "Grandview days" and good friends. It was really good to see them both and get caught up on all their news. We went out for lunch with them and Jay enjoyed both getting out and being in their company. Later his friend, Jimmy, who he was practicing for the marathon with, dropped by for a visit and Andrew, another friend of his brought by some videos. Bill also came by after work and together, they are learning how to play guitar. He has no shortage of caring friends and it is obvious to me that he is very loved and admired by those who know him.

Jay's days are filled with reading, researching, meditating, walking, visiting with friends and looking at his life while considering possible causes for his cancer and the days fly by. He sees the cancer not as just a symptom of something much deeper than a disease but rather as a symptom of something unbalanced in his life. He doesn't simply want to treat the symptom but wants to correct the imbalance in order to prevent a recurrence therefore he is evaluating his life and attempting to find the shortfalls. I admire his attitude and agree that just treating the cancer alone is not the cure-all and only by finding the source of the imbalance will he be able to remain disease free. Some people don't fully understand this philosophy and find it difficult to comprehend, however the importance here is that only Jay can determine what is best for him. After spending these past few days with him, I have come to realize he has wisdom much greater than most people my age and I will support his decision, no matter what. Smile