Finding Normal PDF Print E-mail
Sunday, 05 December 2004 00:00

Jay is becoming more mobile, though still quite sore if he puts too much time on his leg and today he returned to the gym for a light workout. He told me it was great to go; more like normal and I know it helps him to feel like he is part of the real world again.

I can't imagine what it must feel like knowing that he has basically a ticking time bomb in his body somewhere, especially in someone so young. I have tried to think of how I would handle it if it was me instead and I am not sure that I could be so calm and optimistic. His whole lifestyle will be changing now from eating raw, life-force foods and finding a balance between work and play. He is planning on studying the art of preparing live, organic food, a very different process than what the average kitchen produces and reducing his work day from 12-hour days to 10 or less. Playtime will not include as often the bar scene or consuming alcohol and at the age of 27, that is a huge change. But Jay has always been a goal setter and a goal achiever, so no doubt he will soon be a master of these changes especially knowing his life depends on it.

On Thursday when we ate at "Live Café" on Dupont, our combo plates were really very good. We had a slice of "pizza", tacos, stuffed grape leaves and a dip with really yummy crackers; the "cheese" was made out of nuts and the tortillas were the best I have ever had anywhere. After we were finished I felt like I had just downed six espressos because I became so energetic, a really cool "side-effect" of eating food with life force and a real contrast from what I am used to. The theory about this style of eating is that as we consume this "live" food, our bodies absorb more nutrients, electrons, minerals etc. and the live enzymes in the food makes it more digestible, reducing the residue and waste in our bowels which in turn, reduces the bacteria. This eating style has been proven to strengthen our immune systems, which is the exact thing that Jay needs to prevent a recurrence of the melanoma. We both agreed that if he could eat like this at home, this process was very do-able. His friends are all interested in his new lifestyle and want to go with him on his next venture to one of the four "Live Food" restaurants in Toronto so soon his life will return to "normal" again..