What's Going On? PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 07 January 2005 00:00

We awoke this morning to more of the white stuff...lots more. I can't believe it! One of the guys that work here says that this happens about once every ten years. Apparently this is a rare phenomenon here... having snow stay on the ground for a whole day and with more on the way. In fact the forecast is calling for snow flurries all weekend and into the beginning of next week. The temperatures are below average too making me wonder if somehow we brought what should be in Ontario here to Vancouver. Folks here typically don't use snow tires and have little or no experience driving in snow. The schools were closed today and many folks took the day off work because driving can be treacherous due to a shortage of snow removal equipment. The long range forecast is calling for this cold blast to last for a bit while back in Ontario they are calling for warmer than average temperatures and have a serious shortage of snow.

Our friends, Paul and Brenda, who left here on Tuesday, were heading south seeking warmer weather. However the news we have been watching today has indicated that this crazy weather isn't limited to Canada. The climate in southern California, where typically they experience a warm, dry winter is currently excessively wet resulting in mudslides and they are even having snowstorms. They had snow in Las Vegas, which is in the desert, so I suppose a little snow in Vancouver is not something to get excited about. We just hope Paul and Brenda are somehow missing the crappy stuff and that soon it improves.

We both woke up feeling a bit better but needless to say, with this weather, we decided to stay here for the day. Rick felt well enough to work out this morning while I stayed in bed a little while longer. We have decided to wait until we are both feeling better before we visit with Karley, Ian and Makai to reduce the chances of exposing them to our bug. Meanwhile, Sam, the cat, was in her glory because she has had someone to cuddle with for three whole days.