The Good Old Days PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 19 January 2005 00:00

Angie is supposed to be flying into Vancouver today. The weather in Ontario has been less than wonderful with very snowy conditions making driving a challenge while here in Vancouver we are under a heavy rainfall advisory. This morning before 6:00 AM we received a call from a very concerned Bill, who had heard on the news about the mudslides in Vancouver. There have been two, one in Coquitlam, east of here and the other in North Vancouver. Fortunately for us, we are in a higher, level area so we shouldn't have anything to worry about. A pilot friend of ours told me last night that when he was flying back from Australia on Monday, he knew this weather was on it's way here from California. Apparently he flew with strong tailwinds pushing his flight and he could see the heavy cloud formations, evidence that this system was on its way.

Angie managed to make her way to the airport only to learn that her flight and several others were either being cancelled or delayed due to a wildcat strike by Air Canada baggage handlers and ground crew. Of course calling into Air Canada is impossible; "high call volume" is the excuse. Gee, I wonder why that is? The website is as informative; "flight delayed" is all we get there. In fact we have gotten more information from watching the "New VR", Barrie's local TV station,  on satellite TV than either Angie is getting at the airport or we are getting from the airline's website. When Angie first checked in at the Air Canada kiosk, she was not informed of any delays. It was after she called us to let us know she was there that we told her of the problem which we learned of from the news. How bad is that?

It seems some baggage handlers were caught on hidden cameras, cheating with their time cards and were to be fired as a result. That was when the union took action and called the strike. What happened to the days when honesty was the best policy and employees actually worked for the company that pays them instead of for the union? Anyway, as of this writing, the flights are cancelled and we don't know when Angie will be here but I'll keep you updated.