Preserving Sanity PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 08 February 2005 00:00

When my children were babies, they were never given soothers, which I believe was a mistake on my part. Karley and Jamie never really needed one; they were both very calm, easygoing babies who didn't fuss very much and didn't demand to be fed constantly. However, when Jay was born, Karley was only 19 months old and he was a very colicky baby. Unfortunately, my doctor didn't believe that breast-fed babies could be colicky and offered no suggestions and no help. My mother disapproved of soothers and had me convinced that they were unnecessary things and for that reason, I never thought about giving one to Jay. The poor little guy had severe stomach discomfort and a soother would have been something that would have calmed him. For several months my sanity was severely compromised and we all suffered: Jay with tummy pains, me with guilt for not being able to comfort him and Karley and Jim with having to listen to his painful cries.

Fortunately, Karley didn't go into motherhood tainted with incorrect information about soothers and she recently introduced one to Makai. It has been a real time and sanity saver for her because often he would wake up, seemingly for no reason, and the only comfort she could offer that would calm him was for him to suckle (perhaps that's why he has grown so fast!). Now she gives him a soother and he will sit contentedly or go back to sleep in short order.

Tonight Makai came to visit us while his mom and dad went to the show and Grandpa immediately took over his care. After a while, he sat with Makai on his lap, reading him a story, which kept them both contentedly occupied. Periodically the soother was needed when he started to fuss and it worked like magic! He is much more alert now than he was even a week ago and this little device performs miracles. For us, Karley and Ian, I am thankful that they have included it in their "must have" list!