Good Question PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 09 February 2005 00:00

Rick is the youngest of six children and there is eighteen years between him and his oldest sister. When he was growing up he was often recruited to baby-sit his nieces and nephews so he has had a lot of experience with kids and it shows. He loves children of all ages and they seem to be mesmerized by him. Whenever he has Makai in his care, Makai becomes completely captivated by his Grandpa and this lasts for hours but it is hard to tell who is more enthralled.

Last night, Karley and Makai stayed overnight with us in the motorhome. Makai settled down to go to sleep at 11:30 PM about forty-five minutes after Grandpa and a half hour before me. At around 3:30 AM I woke up to the sound of a baby crying and his mother tending to him and all the memories of waking up through the night with my children when they were infants came flooding back to me. Up until that moment, I could only listen sympathetically to Karley when she would relay the details of a restless night. Now I understood just how much time a wee baby takes and I am thankful to be in the role of Granni rather than Mommy.

We were all up early and Karley was exhausted. Normally she goes back to sleep while Makai naps in the morning but today it was out of the question. We had some pre-planned errands to go on so catching up on her lost sleep just wasn't go to happen this morning. Instead, Rick and I dropped her off at the house after we completed our tasks so that she could have a much-needed nap and we took Makai back to the motorhome with us. Just like before, Rick took over the role of baby entertainer while I went shopping for groceries at Costco. When I returned, Makai was sleeping soundly in Grandpa's arms and it was evident that I was not missed or needed by anyone. I am beginning to wonder who will have the most withdrawal symptoms when it is time for us to leave; Rick, me, Makai or Karley? Hmmmm!