My Heart Belongs to Makai PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 04 May 2005 16:00
After a very long period of not working out and slowly feeling and looking less and less in shape, I finally got back on my Nordic Track this morning. I don't work out simply to keep the fat at bay, (it's not working anyway) but I work out to give my heart some much-needed exercise. Never being much of an exercise lover in my youth, it is no easy task for me to begin this practice now but my aim is to reach old age in good physical condition.

Travelling across the continent made us both painfully aware of the obesity problem facing a large portion of the North American population and it's not a pretty picture. Aside from the overall feeling of ill health for an obese person, the burden being caused to the healthcare system as they get increasingly unhealthy will come out of everyone's pocket. Too much television and not enough physical activity is one culprit causing the problem of our widening girths but I feel the entire food industry holds the bulk of the blame. From the "super sized" portions available at every fast food restaurant to the quality of the ingredients going into them, we just don't eat properly. In a nutshell, most North Americans overeat and under-exercise, (myself included) and remaining on that track ensures crumbling joints, clogged arteries, heart disease, cancer, diabetes and an early death.

Would I want to live to be 100 if I was in ill health, suffering from painful joints and waiting for my next heart attack? Simply...no! However, if I can age well, with a strong heart, a clear mind and healthy bones, why not? If Makai is any indication, I would really enjoy watching my grandchildren and my great-grandchildren grow up and multiply providing me with endless joy. So when it comes right down to it, I do work out and try to eat right for my heart but it belongs to Makai MacLachlan.