Is Fulltiming For You? Part 1 PDF Print E-mail
Monday, 10 April 2006 16:00

We are often asked how we made the transition from living in a stick house to one with wheels. Folks wonder if they too would be able to do what we do so for the next few days I will write about our transition and how we determined that it was something we could do.

We knew we wanted to travel around Canada and the US but we assumed we would just take lengthy car trips in order to do so. At one point we even considered buying a transport-truck to finance our rambling lifestyle. We had taken a two-week vacation in a rented Class C motorhome, with my sister and brother-in-law in 1996, which we thoroughly enjoyed and in 2001 after my father passed away, we rented another one and took my mother out to the east coast for a two-week getaway. It was on that vacation that we met some real bonafide “fulltimers” for the very first time and we knew that “someday” we wanted to do that too.

We had the “bug”, so soon after that vacation we bought our first Class A motorhome, a used 1998 Holiday Rambler Endeavour, 38 foot diesel pusher with one slideout. We started to take weekend sojourns as well as a couple of longer trips which only re-enforced the desire to go fulltime and we started to read. We read everything we could get our hands on that pertained to living on the road from books to magazine articles and we dreamed of the day when we too would be able to hit the road permanently. After a trip out west, we came back to our home where four of our children (who didn’t live with us) had been enjoying an eighteen-day party in our absence. It was at that moment that we decided that our time had come and we listed the house with a real-estate company the next day.