Shasta County PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 09 May 2006 16:00

This is a beautiful part of California; a part we have traveled through before but an area that we have never stayed in. Today we started to do some exploring of both the city of Redding and Shasta Lake, just a few miles north. Redding has a population of just under 90,000 and is built along the banks of the Sacramento River which runs into Shasta Lake, a huge man-made lake which was completed in 1944.

To get to the Shasta Lake Dam, the second-largest dam in the United States, we drove through Shasta Lake City along Highway 151. The dam was certainly impressive and Shasta Lake is gorgeous especially with the snow-covered peak of Mount Shasta towering in the distance. We spoke with a man, working as a guard with Homeland Security at the entrance at the top of the dam, a job he acquired since the events of 9-11. We were allowed to cross the dam on foot (apparently we could have driven over it with a permit), however we enjoyed the walk and it enabled us to see two pairs of osprey nesting on some of the hydro structures, just below. (Unfortunately, I couldn’t get my camera to focus on them clearly, so those pictures won’t be on here.)

This afternoon we drove into Redding to get acquainted with it and find a health food supplier. We located a place, Enterprise Health Foods, and though it was well stocked we learned that we have been spoiled by the selection we are used to from Clarke’s and Trader Joes in Palm Springs. We then decided to go to the Sundial Bridge at the Turtle Bay Exploration Park, a major tourist attraction. Today, the temperature soared to 34C (93.2F) so we walked across the bridge and just enjoyed sitting along the banks of the fast moving Sacramento River, where the air was much cooler. (I left my camera in the car but we are returning there to explore the Sacramento River Trail by bicycle later in the week and I will be sure to take it with me then.) There is a lot to see in this area and no doubt, we will only be able to scratch the surface before it is time to leave. If today was any indication, we will be awed by what is to come!