A Warm Day in Mission PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 17 August 2006 16:00

Since summer arrived here in June, we have been enjoying some very fine weather with the exception of a few days (three of them when our friends, the Ouellette’s, were here). We are back into a heat wave which is fine with us because it cools down so nicely in the evenings.

Monet, our little granddaughter is growing rapidly and seems to be coming out of her colicky stage so we are getting plenty of smiles these days. Makai’s vocabulary is also growing with new words being added to it daily. I have gone from being a one syllable “Aaen” to a two syllable “Aaen-iiee” (the ‘n’ is silent in both versions!) and I am optimistic that by the time we head south, I will become a clear and concise Granni. All the blueberries on the backyard bushes have been picked by Makai’s small hands and recently he has discovered the apple tree as well. Fortunately, we have managed to keep him away from the clump of blackberry bushes beside the shed in the backyard because they are very prickly and he would definitely get injured. Today, Ian’s sister, Morag, is visiting from Canmore, Alberta meeting Monet for the first time and seeing some big changes in Makai since her last visit in February.

While Rick tinkered with the motorcycle all day, (with some help from Makai) I baked a maple cake and Karley was able to run some errands with Morag while Monet slept. Tonight we all enjoyed a barbequed dinner outside on the deck and now the air is beginning to cool, indications of a great night ahead. We are having a darned good summer!

This is a picture of Karley, age undetermined, number three of four black and white ones that I cannot recall being taken.