All To Ourselves PDF Print E-mail
Sunday, 28 May 2006 16:00

Today Karley had made plans to go into Vancouver for the day and Rick and I were left to baby-sit Makai. She had asked me some time ago if we would mind (like she had to ask) spending the day with him while she ran errands by herself. Like most grandparents, a day by ourselves with our grandchild is one of the best things we could ask for. When she was leaving he cried because “Momma” was leaving but I explained to him that she would be back at supper time which seemed to pacify him. Rick and I each took turns spending some one-on-one time with him and we had a blast. Makai has developed quite an inquisitive personality and it has been a long time since we have had so many laughs.

This afternoon the weather cleared up and the overcast sky gave way to the sun so Rick spent some time working outside doing some yard work. Makai became his shadow, following Boppa/Grandpa while he cleaned up some brush in the gardens. He then spent his time either chasing Rick or visiting me in the kitchen, “helping” me to make supper. Karley called to say she’d be home by 6:45PM, about 20 minutes later than Makai’s tummy would wait. As I was putting him in his highchair for his dinner, for the first time since she left, he looked at me and said “Momma?” letting me know that he remembered what I had told him this morning. Luckily (for me) his Momma showed up just as he was finishing his dinner and he was one very happy boy.

Before bedtime we went outside and Makai engaged in a game of “fetch-the-ball” with the neighbour’s dog, Tipper, and their cat, SpecialEd.