Weekend Info PDF Print E-mail
Saturday, 15 July 2006 16:00

Our weekend in the Okanagan Valley was absolutely perfect and exactly what we needed. We left here Thursday under overcast skies but by the time we reached the community of Hope, about an hour east of here, there was blue sky peeking through the clouds and the temperature was rising. Rather than take the most direct route, we decided to follow Highway 3, through Keremeos and then north through Penticton and Kelowna to Vernon.

As we approached Kelowna, the weather had improved even more and we knew our decision to head east was definitely a good one. Have I mentioned before how much I love my camera? I was taking photographs through the windshield for much of the trip and to my surprise, they were clear and almost reflection free. Driving through Kelowna at 5:00 PM on a Friday night in the summer may not have been the best thing we did because like any city, there is a rush hour and Kelowna has some serious bottleneck issues on Highway 97A. (We had been in Kelowna last in September with Christine and Fred (my sister & her hubby) however we were going south at the time and didn’t encounter this.)

On Friday we drove up to Silver Star Ski Resort, a place that brings back some really wonderful memories. The first time we had been there was a ski holiday several years ago with our friends, Michael and Dolores Todd and we returned there in February 2000 with all five of our kids and two of their “significant” others. It really seemed different in the summer time with grass everywhere and some construction on the go but evidently there is plenty to do during all seasons. Be sure to check the Pictures section for some updates of our weekend. Ya, and we sure missed these little folks while we were away!