Being a Teacher PDF Print E-mail
Sunday, 05 November 2006 16:00

We are enjoying a “heat wave” right now; today’s high reached 34C (93.3F) with the rest of the week looking to be very much the same. This morning when I joined my fellow walkers at 6:30 AM it was already 18C (64.4F) making the overnight lows quite warm. This is desert country here and last year at this time we were experiencing daytime highs in the mid to high 20’s C (mid to high 70’sF) and the lows around 11-13C (low 50’sF), a more normal climate. I am not complaining about this weather, I just wish it would stay this way all winter!

Today was the first day of my computer classes, a beginner’s class, and I was pleasantly surprised to find 17 people in attendance. I will be teaching three classes a week; one for beginners, one for folks who want to Blog and a general class for people of all levels of experience. This is just one of the free activities available here at Catalina Spa and it is a great way to get to know each other. Today’s was a lively class and I believe everyone left the class with a little more information than when they arrived (this is a good thing!). My class attendees consist mainly of retired folks, many keen to learn how to use a computer for the very first time. I always have great admiration for them because learning something new at any age isn’t easy and learning how to use computers can be very intimidating. Their eagerness surprises me and for the most part they are quick learners with lots of great questions which keeps me on my toes.

After class I found myself going all over the place helping other folks with their computers and again we were experiencing a beautiful sunset. By the time I was finished the sunset was over so I missed the opportunity to get a picture. This one is of yesterday’s sky taken when we returned to the park after our bike ride.