Wishin’ PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 15 November 2006 16:00

Yesterday we received two calls from Karley in Mission, BC. The first one was to inform me of the nasty storm they were being besieged by that knocked out power and pelted the lower BC mainland with more rain than they have seen in a while. They endured high winds and there were highway closures brought on by flying and falling trees everywhere.

The second call came much later to let me know that it took Ian over three hours to get home along a route that normally brought him home in less than half that time. Once he arrived home safely and after they feasted on take-out sushi, Ian and Makai ventured to Canadian Tire (fortunately the store had power!). They needed to stock up on batteries, portable lights and whatever other paraphernalia they might need with two little kids and no hydro restoration in sight.

Tonight I have tried reaching them but evidently the Telus system isn’t functioning well and I am getting nothing but a fast busy signal. I have been keeping an eye on the BC news and there have been numerous problems all around Vancouver and the surrounding suburbs. The storm has compromised the water system and there is a boil-water advisory in effect now too.

It’s times like this when a Granni and Grandpa wish they were closer so their loved ones could stay warm and dry in our self-contained home when the lights go out!