Normal For Here PDF Print E-mail
Saturday, 02 December 2006 16:00

As I mentioned yesterday, the weather has returned to seasonal norms here and based on what I am reading, they have returned in Ontario and BC, too. After a good eight hour’s sleep last night, Rick accompanied me for my early morning walk and we basked in the 11C (52F) temperature, a far cry from the 4C (40F) I experienced last week.

After our breakfast we went for a motorcycle ride to Yucca Valley for our Sunday morning coffee and the air was quite warm. We could tell we were in for a great day. However, as we climbed up the hills along Highway 62 we could feel the air chill and by the time we reached our destination, a hot coffee became more a requirement than a treat.

Afterwards we rode back down into the Coachella Valley and watched as the mercury rose, doubling to 26C (79F). As we rode around Palm Springs we encountered several folks going about Christmas preparations, some with trees strapped to their car roofs. One fellow was wearing shorts and a tee-shirt as he loaded his tree. After spending over 30 years having a white Christmas, it still strikes me as odd to be in a sunny desert at this time of the year. Though this year we are heading to Mission for the holidays it is a day like today that remind us of why we come here for the winter.