Wow! PDF Print E-mail
Written by Susan Hollingshead   
Monday, 06 August 2007 00:24
aug 6-07.jpgWhen we received our trailer about two years ago, we bought it for an excellent price partly because it came from a small company and partly because it was lacking some of the finishing touches. The walls and floor are lined with plywood and because we didn’t have a lot of time before we needed to use it, we simply sealed the plywood with marine varnish. It has served us well that way but Rick has always wanted to finish the floor with something easier to clean than sealed wood. While we were in South Dakota we found a particularly good deal on some floor tiles (and we declared them at the border) that would serve the purpose of a trailer floor.

Karley and Ian, having been away from their little ones for two days, spent the day doing family things; the fair in the morning and fishing at a nearby lake this afternoon after naptime. It left Rick and me with an open day. Yesterday, Rick started the prep work of the plywood and today he spent his day laying the new floor. I, on the other hand, enjoyed my day reading, which seems like such a treat to me because I seldom have time for it anymore.

When we were driving through Golden, BC on our way from Radium Hot Springs, we stopped for lunch at a Café Bookstore and I found a used copy of Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser at the food counter for $10. I had heard a little about the book; it was a real eye-opener; it would change my opinion about restaurants; yada, yada, yada, so I bought it.

Well, as most of you know I am a vegetarian/vegaquarian and a huge advocate of organic food anyway so this book seemed right up my alley. However, I learned a lot about the fast food industry, corporate farming, feed lots, slaughter houses and meat packing plants that I had no knowledge of before. After reading this, I have to wonder why anyone who cares about their health would ever eat meat and particularly fast food again. Other than the fact that what we don’t know (we think) won’t hurt us (and until I read this book there was a lot I didn’t know and there is a lot I still need to know), I am appalled at what I have learned. Seriously folks, our food supply (and as a result… our health) is in dire need of help and we have got to stop ignoring it. If you care about your families and future generations, you owe it to yourself (and them) to read Fast Food Nation because only we, as consumers, can change the way things are.

As I write this Rick has pretty much finished laying the floor, so I popped in to get a picture and as you can see, he has done a fabulous job!