The House of Mystery and The Klamath River PDF Print E-mail
Monday, 19 April 2004 00:00
We were up early this morning so after a jog, we headed to the world famous Oregon Vortex also known as The House of Mystery, just a few miles up the road. The "house" was originally built in 1904 by a gold mining company in an area the Native Americans referred to as "The Forbidden Ground". Because their horses would not enter into the affected area, the natives shunned it as well. To this day, no wild animals venture there nor do birds nest in the trees within the immediate area. A vortex, by definition is a whirlpool of force and The Oregon Vortex is a spherical field of force half above ground and half below. There are several theories regarding what happens here (people seem to shrink and grow in size before our very eyes) and it has been studied scientifically since 1920. This whole experience is one you need to experience to understand. I cannot describe in words what we saw or experienced and my pictures could not capture the phenomenon. The energy here was extremely interesting!

After lunch we headed south on I-5 towards California only about 30 miles from here. We stopped in Medford, at a Dutch Bros. Coffee stand for a cup of the best Java outside of Canada. We love these stands! The staff are so friendly, the coffee is made fresh per cup as it is ordered, their prices are reasonable and Tim Horton's would need to be concerned if they were in Canada. If you are ever in Oregon folks, give them a try.

We stopped at the welcome center across the state line and drove along the scenic route, Highway 96, beside the Klamath River in the Klamath National Forest. As well as seeing the beautiful scenery throughout the forest, we had the great privilege of viewing a couple of Osprey's on their nests. The weather today was pretty much the same as it has been since we arrived, low teens Celsius (mid 50'sF) with sun and rain so we also saw three different rainbows. We enjoyed our time here but the weather forecast is the same all over Oregon, so we'll continue our trek northward to Eugene tomorrow, about 170 miles from here.