Homeward Bound PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 20 July 2004 00:00
I was awake early this morning, partly because I was excited to be going home and partly because I still had to repack my suitcase. Of course, there was more going into my suitcase going home than getting here and I was concerned about fitting it all in. However, after some rearranging and reorganizing, everything fit in just fine though the suitcase is much heavier.

Jay, Rachel and I drove down to The Beaches first because believe it or not, in all my years living in Ontario, I had never been. We walked along the boardwalk for a while but we were concerned that any minute the sky would open up and it would pour rain. It was very humid and there were thunderstorm warnings as well as thunder rumbling nearby. Consequently, the beach area was relatively deserted but also because, as usual at this time of year, the lake was not safe for swimming. We quickly strolled up to Queen Street for a late lunch at a restaurant with one of the outdoor patios covered with an awning. While we enjoyed our meal the skies indeed opened up though it was brief, not providing any relief from the humidity.

Everywhere we drove today, there was heavier than usual traffic and the drive to the airport took a little longer than it should. Thanks to Rachel's organizing, she allowed for it and we arrived at the airport with plenty of time to spare. The last thing I wanted was a repeat of the day I arrived, to miss my flight. We exchanged our hugs goodbye and I made my way to the gate. There were several flight delays due to the severe weather, however we were in the air and on our way on time. I enjoyed my visit with my oldest son and his girlfriend Rachel and am looking forward to (hopefully) seeing them for a visit to BC in December.