Happiness PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 04 January 2005 00:00

Our friends Paul and Brenda left here this morning after a delayed start caused from the freezing temperatures. As I mentioned yesterday, we are experiencing some colder than normal temperatures here while enjoying clear blue sky at the same time. This weather is too cold for me to use the Nordic Track, which is located on the patio outside under the awning where I can use it even when it rains. Every morning there is heavy frost on the bushes, ground and car and I am not excited to go outside. Sometimes I think I almost prefer the rain. (I can't believe I said that!)

Today, Ian reluctantly returned to work and Karley and Makai had their first doctor's appointment since leaving the hospital last Thursday. We went over to the house to give Karley a hand and walk with her to her doctor's office on The Drive. We bundled him up and Grandpa happily carried him in his arms while Karley and I walked together. In the two days since we saw them last, we could see how fast Makai is growing while Karley is shrinking so we were most interested to hear the results of their check-ups.

When Makai was released from the hospital, he weighed 7 lbs. 14 oz., a normal drop from his original birth weight of 8 lbs. 6.5 oz. Today, only five days later, his weight was 9 lbs. 1 oz., which is a significant increase and it's pretty evident that Karley is providing plenty of milk for him. She was pretty happy to find that she has also had a considerable weight loss and that breastfeeding burns approximately 1000 calories a day so she knows it won't be long before she is back to her pre-pregnancy condition. I am pleased to say that both mother and son received an A plus report! We walked home and while Karley and Rick put away Christmas decorations and took down the tree, I burped, changed and cuddled baby Makai. It is times like these when the weather becomes unimportant and I couldn't be happier! Laughing