A Day Out PDF Print E-mail
Monday, 10 January 2005 00:00

We decided to venture into Vancouver this afternoon to explore Chinatown and grab a bite to eat. The weather has improved a bit and the sun was shining with an expected high of 4C so it was a good day to go out. Though we went out yesterday, I was plagued with a stomachache again so we didn't go very far or for very long.

It was nice to be feeling like my old self again and combined with the sunny skies, it was a perfect day. We went to an eatery in Chinatown that I had learned about on the Internet when searching for vegetarian restaurants. The Buddhist Vegetarian Restaurant serves typical Chinese dishes with a twist...everything is vegan, containing no meat, fish, or dairy. There were dozens of choices like veggie sweet and sour chicken balls, veggie ginger beef and veggie seafood with seasonal vegetables. We tried the sweet and sour "chicken" balls, the pineapple mixed seafood fried rice and a mushroom dish. The food was fabulous and for us, it was a real treat to go to a Chinese restaurant and be able to eat everything on the menu. The owner has been cooking vegetarian for 40 years and this restaurant has been open since 1984, a pretty good indicator of it's popularity. They use no artificial flavourings and the "meat" products are all made from textured, flavoured vegetable protein or gluten. For us, it was a great find.

We stopped by Karley and Ian's for a short visit on our way back to the motorhome. As brief as it was, we both had an opportunity to cuddle and burp Makai because he was awake and hungry. At only two weeks old, he is rapidly growing and we'll take as much time with him as we can.